Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I can see the light!

I have to say without a doubt that I have one of the most amazing dh in the world. When we buying a house a few years ago, one of the requirements was that there needed to be space for me to have a sewing room. The house we bought had a room in the basement and I put my quilting room there. It quickly became apparent that it was small once all of the furniture was in, and having young children made it difficult to be down there for any length of time. A decision was made (okay I made the decision) to take over the office on our main floor. It had been put on as an addition to the house as a bedroom so there was lots of closet space. The computer got moved out to our living room and I moved in. I did leave him a small space. The only problem with the room is that it had no overhead lighting so I had to use task lighting. I have an Ott floor lamp and I would move it around as needed. This past weekend my dh put in some overhead lights for me and I can't believe what a difference it has made. It is like a whole new world! Sometimes you don't realize how bad things are until you have it good. My quilting is so much faster now because it is so much easier to see. It has really changed my perspective.


I went to the quilt store last Wednesday. Not for fabric, I went to buy an Angler 2. I find it really helpful to use as my guideline for my 1/4 inch seam. I also bought a ruler holder which I absolutely love. I had bought one a few years ago which was short and only had 3 slots. This one is much longer and has 5 slots. It can hold all of the rulers that I use most often. I did not buy any fabric. However, when I went up to the cash to pay for it, I fell in love. There beside the counter was some charm packs of Aster Manor by Moda. I will have to put it on my Christmas wish list. The line has nice warm browns, soft pinks, creams and red. I have been wanting to make a brown and pink quilt for a long time.




Here is hopefully my last stash picture for a while. These are the fabrics I got on Father's Day. The fall leaves for a tablerunner, the blue/red for a quilt I am saving up to make, and some fat 1/8's for my bits and pieces mystery quilt.

I realized this morning that I can be my own worst enemy. I can set myself up for failure very easily. I am hoping with my new lighting, my new ruler holder, my project busting, and my swap stopping I will set myself up for success in quilting and that success will continue through to other parts of my life.

I hope you have an enlightening day and Happy Birthday to Myra!



4 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

I kind of feel the same way. It is too hard to have a successful sewing room in the basement or out of the way when you have a family around. My sewing room is in the traditional space a dining room would be in but when we built the house we never intended a dining room to be there. It was originally an office/library but now that the kids are older and my husband has a laptop it wasn't used really that much so I took it over 18 months ago, repainted it and I love it. It is just off the kitchen and living room but it is a perfect spot to be out of the way but in the way. LIghting is an issue though. My overhead lights aren't the best. But I have a little spot light that helps. You make me think I need to get more overhead lighting. I'm going to put that on my list of things to talk to my husband about.

Thanks Michelle.

Myra said...

LOL! Reading through your whole post and I come across my name at the bottom!!! Too funny! Thanks a bunch Michelle! 8-)

How wonderful to be on the main level with your sewing room, especially with young children to mind... My hubby put a ceiling light in my room too, so I know what you are talking about "I can see the light!" Makes a big difference!!! Handy hubbies are great! 8-)

A ruler holder? Good stuff! That is something I am trying to get my hubby to make for me, though I want a peg board for them on the wall right over my cutting table... I will get it soon enough, I hope! Enjoy your ruler holder! 8-)

You shall succeed in your quest for quilting success... 8-)

Happy stitchings!

Angela Nash said...

It sonds like your sewing space is all set for some wonderful creativity! Good for you on not buying the fabric. If only I had such will power!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

i really need better lighting in my sewing room.. i have one overhead light with the fan but that is it... i have two tall lamps and one desk one... maybe one day!