Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Finally Spring

From this ...





to this ...




to this ...






Okay, where to begin. My mother bought me the jelly roll for Christmas 2007. Then last year I fell in love with the Fields of Flowers pattern. I absolutely loved the turquoise triangles. Last fall when I had some time I cut the strips into 4 10 1/2 " strips for a total of 160 strips. When I started in the winter to put them together I had some how mysteriously lost 10 of the strips. No big deal I thought, I will turn the design into straight rows, 5 x6 blocks. Well then I sewed the 1st row together I realized it was not going to work out. What I did when I was cutting the strips was to put a bunch on top of one another. This is something I never usually do. Well the result of that was quite a few still had their selvage edges on them. Now what to do? Part of the reason why I like quilting so much is the math. Even if you screw up, if you can figure out the math you can do something different. What I decided to do was to change the blocks from being 5 strips in a block to 4, which menat a lot of use for my seam ripper. This allowed me to cut down the blocks to 8 1/2 " and put the blocks back on point. I used the leftover strips to make a table runner for my mother. The other thing I got to do was to add a border. I also normally don't buy fabric on it's own without a project in mind, but I had fallen in love with this beautiful fabric called Secret Garden by Ro Gregg. It ended up matching perfectly with the quilt. Now that the quilt top is done, I am so happy with it. I have to admit that I am glad quilting is like childbirth. If I remembered all the pain of this quilt, I might not want to quilt again. Instead I am happily on to my next project and waiting to get this one quilted. I am going to be calling it Spring Meadow.

1 comment:

Myra said...

Quilt top looks great! Soft colors... lovely. 8-)