Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bloggers Quilt Festival

Amy is hosting a Bloggers Quilt Festival. You talk about your favourite quilt on your blog and post the link back on her blog. Please join in. It is wonderful to see what is everyone is doing and there are great prizes to be won!


Rather than talk about my favourite quilt which is so hard to choose, and which I usually say is my first baby quilt made for my nephew, I am going to talk about the quilt that has my favourite sentiment. I took my 1st quilting course 17 years ago. It was a hand applique course. I enjoyed it but put aside quilting for a few years while I finished my schooling. I then took a beginner's quilting course through a evening interest program at a high school. I did not have a sewing machine at the time and I found out that I was not very good at hand piecing. A few years after that my dh bought me a sewing machine and I made quite a few baby quilts and some lap quilts. Then I had my children born 18 months apart. I was having a hard time deciding whether to continue quilting, knowing the time constraints I would have with two young children. When my youngest was 9 months hold I decided to take a beginner's course again, this time with a sewing machine. I thought the course would be useful to pick up tips since I had learned a lot on my own. I also wanted to make a decision about whether I would keep quilting. This quilt is the result.


NEVER ENDING

I learned a lot from my course. It was there that I realized that my passion for quilting and my husband and children was "never ending". Both would be filled with tears, laughter, joy and frustration but I could not live without either one.


The compromise I made for time is that for now I get my quilts quilted by other people. Since then, I have moved back to my hometown, gotten a quilting room and a new sewing machine. I have made many lap and baby quilts. I am now working on a king size quilt. Two years ago, I joined my LQG, entered this quilt into my guild's quilt show and now belong to the executive as the newsletter editor. My latest foray has been creating this blog and learning from so many of you.

19 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Such a lovely quilt. I am fairly new to blogging too. It has been so great to meet other quilter/bloggers on this virtual quilting festival. Such fun! Thanks for sharing.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh, I love your quilt and you are right it is a never ending source of love!!

Carol said...

Very pretty. I like the way the different blocks are set.

Zonnah said...

It's beautiful!

Danielle said...

Your quilt is lovely, the colors are so pretty and soft. I have really enjoyed finding new blogs on the Quilt Festival, thanks for looking at mine as well.

Scrappy quilter said...

What a great quilt. I love the soft colors.

Tammy in Ontario, Canada said...

I love that sampler Michelle. I am glad you kept quilting. It has been very nice meeting you and getting to know you. Keep up the great work.

Myra said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the colors/fabrics used! 8-)

Miri said...

Very pretty...love the greens and pinks together!

Mam said...

Beatiful quilt, and a lovely story.

Quilt Rat said...

lovely quilt, greens and pinks are so fresh, great job

Deb Geyer said...

It is a lovely quilt. And the quilts that you learn from are special, aren't they?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like those colors
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Rhonda said...

What a great story. This was such a good idea by Amy, for all of us to share a part of our lives and quilting experiences.

Mushyhed said...

what a beautiful quilt!!

stitchinpenny said...

A very pretty quilt.

Unknown said...

I don't know how I didn't land here earlier! Your quilt and all that it stands for is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing :)

Angela Nash said...

Great story and quilt! Thanks for the nice comment on my quilt - glad I found your blog. I've slowly been making my way through the quilt festival. I saw this was taggged wall hanging. Any tips on how to hang a quilt?

Jilly's Space said...

Beautiful quilt and I love the story that goes with it. I can related to the dabbling with quilting and then being away from it while the kids were at a certain age. I joined my first quilt guild this past year and have really taken off the last few months with quilting etc!! I am hooked!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your nice comment.
All the best,
Jillian :o)