Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Stripes

I went to my guild meeting last night and it was quite fascinating. Patti Carey was the guest speaker. She is the marketing coordinator from Northcott, and she had a huge collection of quilts to show us. It was fascinating to hear talk about quilting from the business side and how the quilts she makes are used to showcase the fabric collections brought out by the company. Quilts are completed in 10 hours or less, and she told us she has 24 to get done in the next 3 weeks. She showed us this quilt she had made. The stars are actually from a striped fabric and cutting it on the bias gave her the strips already to be sewn together to make the lone stars. It was amazing.




She also had a fabric that had a large scale print on it. She made a block similar to a pinwheel with flying geese, and it looked very similar to a stack n whack. It was neat to see the movement in the quilt. She had another quilt that was simply squares with stripes as the sashing. She talked about how using stripes in a quilt can quickly change the look of a quilt. I have many of those fabrics in that quilt and the stripe she used. I would love to make my own version of that quilt.Now when I think about the time it takes me to make quilts, I will think of Patti and how quickly she has to get things done.

No comments: